Sunday, August 17, 2008

Michigan on a Harley

Yep that's me and the Harley
and now I am sunburnt

We have been looking to sell our property in Tn and find something a bit more closer to home.
I don't see the point of having it since we never get a chance to get there. It's 10 hours away at least and a weekend jaunt it surely isn't.
So in the past month or so we have been discussing Michigan. I want something 2 hours away at most. Not only is it perfect for a weekend home, but if we retire early (like we hope to do) it's close enough to the kids.
On Thursday, David calls me at work with the great idea of taking off Friday and heading out on the bike to cheer me up. It would be our first long ride and we can see how well I do, take my mind off Chewy missing, and we can go up the shoreline and see what Michigan has to offer.
One I got home from work, I packed up...not much considering we are on a bike..(wanted to take some art supplies but there was no room)check out the helmut laws in Indiana and Michigan...and off we go.
Well I'm here to tell ya..I'm on my way to BUNS O STEEL...not from exercise mind you, but from being on a Harley at 60mph on an expressway..tollroad. I seriously don't think I could have squeezed my buttcheeks any tighter. By the time we were in Indiana but butt hurt and so did my fingers from digging into David's side every time a truck went by and I thought we'ld be blown off theh road. Needless to say he was not a happy camper. We got off just before the Indiana Dunes and he was livid. His neck hurt from wearing a helmet (no helmut law in IL) and the added stress of worrying about me freaking out. It was mostly the neck pain. After his 2 surgeries, its never been great and the fact that we left after a full day of pipe bending didn't help.
But David being David, he quickly calmed down and wanted me to enjoy riding as much as he does. Well ain't gonna happen on an expressway thats for sure.
We got on rt 12 and even though its 55 mph, somehow it's different for me. I relaxed and actually was ok...
On one of our many stops I had gotten a call..one that made my trip a much happier one...but thats a post all on its own.
So what should have taken 1 1/2 hours took 4 hours with all the stopping and my freak out.
We got a hotel and settled in..I was EXHAUSTED.
We checked out Niles, Michigan and surrounding towns and New Buffalo. I want close to the lake ..David wants land with no one close by. Hmmm compromise. But we both agree we love it around there. One thing he brough to my attention was how nice an quiet the towns were. And how loud our family is. A family gathering is full of music and lets face it..the boys have a wife and fiance that are loud...in a good way...very lively. You'ld think they were from my side of the family. So maybe on the outskirts of town is better...some acreage where we don't bother anyone.
So he will be going to Tn in the next month to begin selling that property so we can buy in Michigan.





No comments: