Friday, August 8, 2008

3 Weeks of Upheaval

The last 2-3 weeks have been rough... My laptop died, had out of town guest, family drama, and I've been on overdrive at work. Finally got my laptop back! Whew.... Now its got a new motherboard and LCD screen..Our house is our own once again, Everyone is back from vacation at work and the family drama..well...does that really ever go away??? I have to realize the kids are grown and it's their life and not my own. The decisions they make affect them and not me. They need to follow their own path...wherever that may lead.
My son Tony was set to get married May 9, 2009 to a family friend's daughter, who we absolutely adore. Tony is an amazing guitar player and Laura has a killer voice and they have a band that plays out frequently. He has been pursued by several well known bands to join them and for different reasons he has always said no. Last year he was going to move out of state to join one of these bands but changed his mind and proposed to Laura instead.
The ball rolled....Laura got a dress....the hall secured...wedding party chosen...on and on.
So a little over a week ago...The bomb drops.
The wedding is postponed.....INDEFINITELY.
Tony is moving to join a band that has been touring steadily and plans on starting a European tour. The biggest shocker is that his strongest supporter is Laura.
She says that if Tony doesn't pursue music, he will never be happy and that she never wants him to wonder what if..... Smart girl. I have to agree. I know my son and he has been frustrated for quite awhile musically.
His sister who was planning to go back to school in the fall and is now postponing school in order to move in with Laura so they don't lose the huge and cheap apartment they now rent. She's always had a hard time in school but she was determined to stop working and just concentrate on graduating with her degree. In her eyes, she is helping her brother and putting her plans on hold is not a problem.
Repeat...not my life.
Everyone is now excited for him. I know he is nervous. He is not only leaving Laura, family, friends, and great job but he is headed for the unknown. That's always scary.
But he NEEDS to do this.
Its his art.

And I am proud of him... how can I not be? He is brave.
He is following his passion.

No comments: